Saturday, October 5, 2013

Welcome To The New Music and Drama Blog!

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Welcome to the new blog for Music (PK-6) and Drama (7-8)!  I will be posting a variety of updates, activities, and news about the Music and Drama program for Corpus Christi Catholic School.  Check back often to read about the wonderful things your children are doing in class.

News and Updates


CHRISTMAS PROGRAM IS DECEMBER 12th.  Mark your calendars!



Pre-K and Kindergarten: 

Students are learning about movement to music, orchestra families and rhythm.  This month we are focusing on orchestra families. Students were able to listen to each of the four families while listening to Sergei Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf".  This week they will be able to try to play an instrument from the woodwind family...the flute!

Grades 1-5:

Students are reviewing the orchestra families, listening and watching Sergei Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf" and categorizing instruments into the correct family using the IWB (interactive white board).  They are also preparing for the Christmas program. I have uploaded the songs (to date) to the digital locker on Teacher Ease. Please download and print the lyrics so students can practice at home.  I only have the pleasure of working with the students once a week so it is important that they practice daily at home.


Grade 6:

Students are singing and preparing for the Christmas program.  They have been working very hard on singing in 3 part harmonic rounds with "Dona Nobis Pacem".  It is absolutely beautiful!!  They shared it with Mrs. Bruno and her class and they were a hit!

They are now learning a new song for the program as well.  They are singing the song, "Mary Did You Know?" in honor of our Blessed Mother.  I have uploaded all the lyrics to all our Christmas songs into digital locker on Teacher Ease.  Please download and print them out so students can practice the songs at home.  I only have the pleasure of working with the students once a week so it is important that they practice daily at home.

Students, we will be having auditions for the solo in the song, "Mary Did You Know?" on Wednesday during class.  If you would like to audition, please come prepared to sing the first verse with the accompaniment that I will provide.     


Grade 7:

Students are preparing for the Christmas program and rehearsing the play.  It is such a blessing that the 7th grade is performing our Christmas play this year.  They all have such wonderful personalities and I am looking forward to watching them develop into some very expressive actors.  

Students, remember the deadline for line memorization is October 30th!


Grade 8:

The melodrama is coming along and the students are absolutely AMAZING!  I am so thrilled to see how much personality they are putting into their characters. 

Students, remember the first deadline for line memorization is October 16th for Act One, Scene One. You must also memorize your stage directions within your lines so you know "how" you are to act. 

There is a lot of work to do to clean up the stage.  I need as many volunteers as possible on Saturday, October 12th from 9:00-11:00 am to help clean up the stage.  I will have a sign up sheet on the bulletin board outside the music room this week.  Please sign up to help.  The more help we have, the faster it will get done.  Mr. Dan will be there too as our wonderful adviser.  This will count towards contract volunteer hours as well.  I hope to see many of you there!


Quote of the week:

“There is a choice you have to make in everything you do.  So keep in mind that in the end, the choice you make, makes you.”              –John Wooden